Thursday, February 08, 2007

Maybe I should keep on gaining weight...

On Sunday I'm running the Love 'Em or Leave 'Em 5K in honor of Valentine's Day. I've been pretty gung-ho about my running since the Nike+ serendipitously fell into my hands right around my birthday (alright, it really wasn't serendipitous at all, it was actually a gift), so you'd think I'd be making some good progress. I hope so, but I guess we'll find out for sure on Sunday. Anyway, some of these 5K races have a Clydesdale division, which is supposed to be for heavier people. And here is the completely depressing/inspiring part: in order to be in the female Clydesdale division, you have to weigh 140 pounds or more. Depressing: I fit into the "hefty woman" category. Inspiring: if I actually entered a race that had a Clydesdale division, maybe I'd have a chance of winning. But I seriously don't get this weight requirement thing. What if you're like 5'8'' and weigh 140 pounds? Then you're perfectly slender. And I'm not saying I couldn't stand to lose a little extra chub, but seriously... these weight requirements are ridiculous! Isn't the average American woman 5'4'' and 145 pounds, or something like that? If they want to really make things fair, they'd do a body fact percentage thing and then place people into divisions accordingly. I just can't decide whether to be offended or elated that my body doesn't fit the archetypal "runner's build."

1 comment:

Alex said...

It's so hard to figure out what's "heavy" these days considering a majority of Americans are now obese. They're throwing off the curve.