Thursday, September 06, 2007

The simple life

Not the show, of course, but my life. Right now it's simple. And simple is good. I get to stay up late, then I get to sleep in. I get to lounge around in my pajamas, watch TV, go for a run, do some "On Demand" exercises courtesy of Comcast digital cable (I've been promised thinner thighs, firmer buns, and flatter abs in 7 days), then take a leisurely shower, spend an unnecessary amount of time straightening my hair and primping, and then go to work. Things are good right now, and I'm really enjoying this whole part-time thing. Of course, ideally, I'd like to fit in some writing some time between the hair-straightening and eight-minute abs, since having more time to write was kind of a major factor in my whole decision to work part-time.

I'm also finding time for extracurricular activities, too. I think being around students all the time now has made me reminisce on the days of being more of a "Jack of all trades"-type-- dabbling in sports here, music there... so anyway, I recently decided that I really missed playing the violin, bought all new strings for mine, and then signed up to play in a local all-ages community orchestra. I get into these phases where I get really bored with myself, and I have to do something that is interesting and independent. I think it's a self-defense mechanism to prevent me from becoming a completely reclusive hermit. The orchestra starts in a week and a half, and rehearsals will be once a week for an hour. I just hope that I'm not too rusty to try and pull this off. Before a couple days ago, I hadn't played my violin in over a year. But I'm hoping that weekly rehearsals will encourage me to practice and play more consistently. Oh, I forgot to mention one more thing: it's called the Ravenna Second String Orchestra (because it's for intermediate-level musicians). Isn't that the cutest name?

No comments: