One of the things I hate most on this earth is grocery shopping. Which is completely counterintuitive because I love to eat. I absolutely can't stand, however, the process of picking out food (how am I supposed to know what I'm going to want for dinner five days from now?), carrying my groceries up to my apartment (the circulation on my wrists has been cut off countless times as a result of the plastic bags cutting into my flesh), and putting everything away (there's never enough space in our freezer). What does this all mean? That I only make it to the grocery store on average every two weeks, and when I do go, I look like I'm buying enough food to feed a small army.
Case in point: I was making my bi-weekly grocery shopping trip to Safeway two days ago, and when I got to the checkout, the cashier who was ringing me up had this smirk on his face. My first thought was, crap, did I buy Care Bears fruit snacks again and get laughed at? (Believe me, I've done it. And believe me, I've been laughed at-- albeit in a good-natured manner, but still...) Finally the cashier looked at me and said, "Someone has a healthy appetite." And he didn't mean "healthy" in the traditional sense. To his credit, though, he didn't say it in a mean or judgmental tone, but how was I supposed to respond? I just said, "Yup, I like to eat and I hate grocery shopping." The good thing is, I'm not offended by people commenting on my appetite. The other good thing is that that guy will probably forget who I am by the time I'm back at Safeway again (in about another two weeks or so...)
Sunday, May 04, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
I too have difficulties with cashiers at the grocery store. They always try and get me to enter my Safeway card number in the middle of the checkout. I prefer to enter the number at the end so I can see how much the bill goes down due to my shopping savvy. It's a little game of mine that they can't help but try and ruin.
The nerve!
I don't like how certain brands seem to get a re-stock once every decade at our store. I've only seen "Turkey Pepperoni" in the wild once. Same goes for Low-Sugar Smuckers Squeezables. Or Contessa frozen foods, which apparently only exist in the coupon pages of our newspaper. I've never seen it anywhere and the deals advertised for it are always pretty good, which just frustrates me more.
I'm still personally mourning the loss of Waffle Crisp cereal, Pizza-flavored Goldfish, and apple Fig Newtons from my local Safeway stores.
They had Eggo waffles a few years back with syrup baked into the inside. They were amazing and now...poof... gone.
I get made fun of at the grocery store a lot because I buy things in bulk when they're on sale. When shredded cheese for pizza is on sale, I buy like four bags of it. They always say something like "you must really like cheese."
And some guy at Trader Joes said I must not like to cook because I bought four bags of orange chicken and two boxes of brown rice from the freezer section. I just hate their freaking parking lot and buy enough food there for over a month.
Post a Comment