Tuesday, June 27, 2006

The life of a social neurotic

It's no big secret that my home harbors a clan of social neurotics. Ask any member of my family and he/she will indeed concur with me. Of course, on generous days, I prefer to think of myself as "idiosyncratic" or "endearingly eccentric." But then I remember that to be endearing you have to be cute and lovable, which I'm not. Which brings me to my current predicament of attempting to remedy my neuroticism. In all truthfulness, over the past few years in particular, I've been working especially hard to "cure" myself of all my various phobias, hang-ups, and neurotic tendencies. I think I've actually made considerable progress. But the thing that sucks the most about being a social neurotic is that simple, insignificant things that are supposed to be fun turn into huge ordeals. The source of my social dysfunction, I believe, stems from two major psychological and biological flaws that I have: an extremely introverted personality and a ridiculously good memory, especially for people, conversations, and obscure details. Let me provide two examples of the social pandemonium that has ensued from said flaws. Being introverted requires me to actually plan out time where I'm all by myself and doing nothing. If I'm not alone for a certain amount of time a day, then it makes it impossible for me to plan out fun activities with friends, because the whole time I can't help but stress about when I'm going to be alone to "recharge." This, of course, will probably be an ongoing struggle throughout my life. Secondly, my super-memory almost haunts me at times and makes me seem like a creep to people. You might think it sounds cool to never forget a face or a brief, insignificant encounter with a total stranger, or to have a running catalog of everyone's birthday you've ever known in your head, but let me be the first to say, it's not all it's cracked up to be. Sure, remembering important dates certainly has its benefits, but couple this ability with social neuroticism and you suddenly morph into a weirdo. How am I supposed to explain to people I barely know why I know their birthdays? And what about everyone I inadvertently run into and end up avoiding because I don't want to say "hi" since I'm not sure if they remember me? Since I don't know what it's like to have a "normal" memory, I don't know if people are supposed to be remembering me, or if I'm simply too unmemorable to be remembered...thus I'm either perpetually anxious or secretly offended by these insidious encounters with people I "know."
My hope is that one day I'll be considered "endearingly eccentric," but I guess for now I have to settle for being simply kind of annoying and kind of weird.

4 comments:

McBean said...

I can totally understand your need to recharge. I'm like that too. I think I got it from my dad (or I caught it from Alex...hehe...just kidding).

I'm very bad at group social outings. I'm really good with people one-on-one, even with like...three people, but when the group gets too big, I basically shut down.

Give your memory a couple of years and I'm sure it'll tone down a little. I used to remember every face and birthday too. I don't know if I hit my head in college and knocked something loose or something, but it's harder for me to remember the birthdays now.

Alex said...

re: Bean

It's probably because I now make you spend all your time memorizing obscure details about your favorite TV shows. (Quick: Who was the showrunner in season 2 of Dead Like Me!)

McBean said...

I don't pay attention to that crap. I just watch the show. You should know that by now. I don't even know the actors' names. I call them things like "Drug Commercial/Princess Bride" guy, "too skinny leg" girl and "albino wannabe actress."

Alex said...

You don't even call him "Princess Bride Guy." You just call him "Princess Bride."

My favorite, though, will always be "Alias's Dad."