Sunday, October 14, 2007

Steppin' it up a notch

I ran the Dawg Dash today, and instead of doing my usual 5K, I was overcome by a burning desire to run the 10K race. So I did. 6.2 miles. I made it. I ran all 6. 2 miles, and my goal was to break 60 minutes, which would have been averaging just under 10 minutes a mile. I shattered my goal and ran the 10K in 54:49. I'm happy. I think I might dabble in running longer distances my next few races. I feel like I ultimately end up pacing myself better when I'm running more than three miles-- maybe because my runner's high doesn't really kick in until around mile four, and at that point I just keep on running...like a machine-- not necessarily the fastest or most efficient machine, but a machine nonetheless. Anyway, it felt good to challenge myself and run a longer distance. Maybe there will be a marathon in my future after all...but I probably shouldn't get too far ahead of myself.

No comments: