Tuesday, August 15, 2006
9-11 (the phone number, not the date)
So today I made my first 9-11 call. Here's the story: At the daycare I work at, we take the kids on daily walks through the city (to Pioneer Square, Pike Place Market, the waterfront, etc.). We use a long rope that the kids hold onto as they walk so we're able to keep track of them as well as keep them safe. Well, today we decided to head over to the stadiums for our morning walk. I was leading the rope, followed by 12 toddlers and one of my co-teachers. My other co-teacher was walking alongside the kids. Often times we have to stop while we're walking to remind the children not to touch anything, pick up weird crap off the ground, hit each other, etc. I felt a slight pull on the rope and turned to see what was going on. I noticed that it looked like Logan's coat was caught on a water pipe coming out of the wall. I leaned forward to help him and realized that he'd put his hand inside the pipe! He started crying and saying, "Ow, ow, ow!". One of my co-teachers knelt down to help him, but said that she couldn't get his hand out. At that point my mind was instanteously flooded with the worst possible scenarios, and I couldn't help but envision his little finger turning purple and falling off, or some jagged piece of rusty metal slicing into his hand. I was about to give it a try and my co-teacher said, "No, don't pull it!". At that moment a woman approached us and asked if we needed help. She worked inside the modern bath fixture store that we were stopped in front of and returned with a bottle of lotion and some q-tips, but I had already grabbed our cell phone and called 9-11. After attempting to explain the ridiculous situation to the 9-11 operator, my co-teachers and the woman managed to get Logan's hand unstuck, so they didn't end up sending anyone over. Logan escaped for the most part unscathed, with the exception of a little bruise and a scratch on one of his fingers. I'm just thankful that (1) Logan was OK, and (2) I was able to somehow channel my mom (who'd be the only person not panicking if a meteor blew up half the earth) and remain pretty calm. And I'm guess I should also be pretty grateful that my phone call to 9-11 wasn't triggered by some bloody, guts-oozing out life-threatening situation. Then I would have panicked.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Can't you see Logan being the type of kid who would lick a metal pipe when it is freezing out? He reminds me of Dennis the menace :)
Post a Comment