Sunday, August 20, 2006

My last day at work

My last official day at work was Friday, so now I'm no longer a working-class daycare employee. It was so funny trying to explain to the kids that I'm going back to school and am not going to be their teacher anymore. They just looked at me with big blank smiles on their faces and chirped, "Bye!". Honestly, I don't know what I was expecting from two-year-olds...I guess I envisioned a very sentimental goodbye-- a prolonged hug, a misty-eyed farewell-- something more emotional. But of course, it's probably best for the kids if they don't even really understand that I'm not coming back. I think goodbyes are so awkward. I hate the finality of them, and the pressure to say everything that you're thinking and feeling at that moment. It's just too uncomfortable. There are too many mixed feelings involved with goodbyes to actually attempt to verbalize everything. But, my aversion for farewells aside, I'm gonna miss those kids too damn much.

No comments: