Wednesday, May 17, 2006
Anti-smoking Ads
Is it just me, or is the recent wave of anti-smoking commercials highly reminiscent of Grimms' fairy tales? I'm sorry, but smoking a cigarette is just not as disgusting (and not to mention eerily disturbing) as a kid coughing up a hairball. It's just not. When did such extreme gross-out factors, originally employed by our early nineteenth century buddies Jacob and Wilhelm, become the norm for teaching children morality lessons? What's next, a crow ruthlessly poking out the eye of a kid who dabbles with nicotine, much like how the evil stepsisters meet their demise in Cinderella? I find it interesting how in a time where political correctness reigns supreme, these near-offensive anti-smoking ads that aim to scare kids into making the right choices somehow manage to slip through the radar.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Well, well, Marisa. Welcome to the Blogosphere. I'll have you know that I've had a blog for over a year and have only posted once.
Well played, old friend.
Thank You! I'm sick of getting stuck behind a bus with one of those ads plastered across my face.
Although, the website is rather entertaining! (http://www.ashtraymouth.com/default.aspx)
Post a Comment