Thursday, May 04, 2006

I Heart MTV

I love MTV. I remember I went through a period a few years ago (you know, way back in the day when I was a college student) where I thought MTV completely sucked-- and I'm pretty sure it did. But now I'm completely addicted to it. I especially love the dating shows, like "Next" and "Date My Mom." Despite the fact that the dialogue is more contrived than some of the less-than-perfect reality shows that grace our airwaves, the premises of these shows is a unique spin on standard reality fare, tailored to the teens and twenty-somethings of today. And though in real life not every mom dresses like she stepped out of a page of a Victoria's Secret (mail-order only clothing, of course) catalog, or has a witty one-liner sharper than a WB teen drama quip, "Date My Mom" somehow manages to achieve that rare balance between, "Thank God I'm not on this show" to, "What if I were on this show?". Ah, MTV. How I love thee.

No comments: