Friday, May 26, 2006

Karate Kid (me, not the movie)

(Hmmm...the medal looks bigger in person, I swear.)

Last week I was promoted to second degree blue belt. I can't believe I've already been doing karate for over a year! I think the ironic part of it all is that my dojo is in kind of a crappy part of town, so the most likely opportunity for me to ever use my skills (if we can call them that) would be right after a karate class. I competed in my first tournament last month, and folks, you will be happy to know that it really is (almost) just like how it's portrayed in the final scene of The Karate Kid. There were a ton of competitors from this one school in particular, called Solerno, and they had these bright yellow and black "S" patches on their uniforms that looked like dollar signs from far away. And of course I couldn't help but think of Cobra Kai, the bad guys from The Karate Kid. I was slated to compete in individual kata (essentially a choreographed fight minus an opponent), and, you'd be surprised to learn (note the sarcasm) that I was the only 19-34 year-old female novice, so they tweaked the division to include an 18-year-old girl. Yup, just the two of us. It took off some of the pressure knowing that I was going to medal regardless, but I couldn't help thinking how angry I'd be if I ended up with silver. After all, I had a truly legitimate shot at the gold. Oh, and to top it off, this girl was a Cobra Kai-- er, I mean Solerno. I ended up beating her by only a couple tenths of a point, but screw it, I didn't care-- I won the gold medal! So now I'm technically the reigning Regional Amateur Athletic Union Female Novice Individual Kata Champion. Try saying that five times really fast.

4 comments:

Nick said...

So would your version of Karate Kid II be winning the National Amateur Athletic Union Female Novice Individual Kata Champion (NAAUFNIKC). I wonder if that is some kind of anagram. Demons, omens, monks, codes... Da Vinci! Oh wait, that is something else :)

Marisa said...

Haha. If that were my sequel I'd have to go to Japan to compete in the competition, since that's where Daniel-san goes in part II.

Tom said...

Of course if you went to Japan, you'd have to train to "The Power of Love" and break six ice blocks with your bare hands in a back alley bar for money...and honor.

Alex said...

She'd also have to master that bizarre tea ceremony that Daniel-san's Japanese girlfriend does. You know what am talking about, right? That one part of KK2 where the ENTIRE MOVIE GRINDS TO A HALT.