Monday, July 17, 2006

The Race

Well, I ran the 5K yesterday and didn't quite meet my goal of under 25 minutes. I ran it in 25:31, so I was close. I did, however, manage to knock 16 seconds off my pace time from my previous race in May. My mom and I are planning on running the IronGirl in September, so that gives me exactly 8 weeks to train for my next race. I found this "Intermediate 5K Training" plan online, and I decided that's what I'm going to do. As long as moving to a new apartment doesn't screw up my schedule and knock me off balance like it did at the end of last summer. But I don't think I'll let that happen again this time (at least I hope I'm smart enough to learn from my past mistakes). Running = happiness, and if I truly want to be happy I'll have to figure out a way to fit it into my schedule, no matter how busy I am. Plus, what it really boils down to is that I'm just too damn competitive to settle for anything less than the best.

3 comments:

Nick said...

You competitive? I would never have thought such a thing. And 25:31 is quite impressive for a 5K! And I agree that exercise is essential to a happy life :)

McBean said...

I'm impressed that you run that fast. I only run when I need to catch the train (this morning I ran the equivalent of two blocks--in flip flops--to get there on time). While I made the train, it could hardly have been considered fast.

S said...

would it make you feel better if i told you that my mile average is 20 minutes? i don't believe people who say you are supposed to walk a mile in 15 minutes. it's impossible. :)